Whitstable Town 1st Team
Sat 06 Aug 2022  ·  The FA Cup 22-23
Three Bridges
B O'Neill (12'), N Leighton (56'), K Pamment (81')C Donaghey (46' Sent Off)
Whitstable Town Football Club
Whitstable Town 1st Team
H Stannard (47' Sent Off)
Early Cup Exit For Town

Early Cup Exit For Town

Ron Martin8 Aug 2022 - 01:46
Share via

Whitstable fall at the first hurdle with a poor display at Three Bridges

Emirates FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round
Saturday August 6 2022 15.00

The second game of the new season saw Whitstable travel to Isthmian South East club Three Bridges for an FA Cup tie. The draw could have been kinder, but in a disappointing performance, Whitstable caused very few problems for their higher league opponents who eased through to face Deal Town or Egham Town in the next round. After a relatively bright start, Whitstable fell behind to a spectacular long range strike by Brannon O’Neill and the home team began to dominate. The game was reduced to ten-a-side just before the break after a dangerous challenge by Callum Donaghey earned him a red card, along with Harry Stannard for his part in the scuffle that followed. Two well-taken goals in the second half by Noel Leighton and Kieron Pamment settled the tie. Whitstable did finally give home goalkeeper Leo Anderson something to do in the last few minutes, but their FA Cup run was over before it started.

Whitstable manager Richard Styles made one change to the starting eleven that had won at Fisher in the opening league game, with Richard Atkins replacing the unavailable Matt Gething. The new faces among the substitutes included Tom Penfold, who was back from a one game suspension, Kyron Lightfoot and recent signing Josh Oliver. Whitstable had lost 3-1 at Three Bridges in an Isthmian League game in February and the two teams had drawn 1-1 at the Belmont earlier in the season, which ended with Three Bridges in 14th place and Whitstable bottom.

There was some early promise from Whitstable, but also a tendency to concede possession too easily in midfield and they were made to pay in the 12th minute when O’Neill received the ball in the centre circle and lobbed it straight into the top left corner of the net over the stranded Dan Eason. Fjord Rogers and O’Neill collected the game’s first yellow cards and Eason comfortably saved a low Curtis Gayler shot. The Whitstable goalkeeper did really well to keep out a better Gayler strike in the 40th minute, then Stannard shot just over at the other end. In added time, Donaghey dived into a tackle on Tom Mills, players from both teams got involved and after a long delay and a chat between the officials, Donaghey and Stannard were sent off and a couple of others were perhaps fortunate to stay on. The referee blew for half time shortly afterwards with Three Bridges leading 1-0. Whitstable had given their supporters a few moments of encouragement, but there were simply too many misplaced places.

A familiar Three Bridges corner routine early in the second half saw O’Neill pull the ball back for the unmarked Gayler whose fierce shot was deflected for a corner that was punched clear by Eason. The next home corner was headed into the side netting by Tad Bromage, but the pressure was mounting and in the 56th minute the ball was played through to Leighton in the box and he fired it past Eason into the top corner to double the lead. Both managers then started to make changes, with Lightfoot coming on for his Whitstable debut. In the 58th minute. The ball was then played over the Whitstable defence for Pamment to shoot, but Eason saved. Whitstable had offered little threat in attack, but did have an effort blocked following a Lightfoot corner before Three Bridges added a third in the 81st minute. Former Worthing striker Pamment broke free on the right, skipped around Freeman Rogers and shot into the far corner to settle any lingering doubts about the outcome. Whitstable did at least show some signs of life in the remaining minutes, as Lightfoot had two shots saved by Anderson, then a header was cleared off the line from one of four late corners. Will Thomas also had an attempt blocked and James Huggins curled a shot over the top. O’Neill had a couple of late sights of goal at the other end and the referee handed out several late cards for minor infringements as the game drifted to a close and a comfortable 3-0 home win.

Whitstable will be looking for a positive response when the travel to their manager’s former club Tunbridge Wells for a league match next Saturday.

Three BridgesDataWhitstable
7Shots on target3
7Shots off target3
3Shots blocked3
13Fouls conceded12

Three Bridges
Leo Anderson, Dan Ferreria, Tad Bromage, Bryan Villavicencio (Harvey Woolard 90+3), Curtis Gayler (Connor Collcutt 87), Brannon O’Neill (c), Noel Leighton (Giani Ashley 58), Kieron Pamment, Callum Donaghey, Camron Lawson, Billy Irving.
Subs (unused): Mitch Bromage, Kevin Rivera.
Goals: Brannon O’Neill 12, Noel Leighton 56, Kieron Pamment 81.
Red card: Callum Donaghey 45+1
Yellow cards: Brannon O’Neill 28, Billy Irving 66, Camron Lawson 84.

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason, Jake Mackenzie, Tom Mills, James Huggins, Freeman Rogers (c), Will Thomas, Harry Stannard, Ryan Flack (Josh Oliver 67), Richard Atkins, Fjord Rogers (Kyron Lightfoot 58), James Jeffrey (Harry O’Donnell 82).
Subs (unused): Joe Jarvis, Billy Robbins, Tom Penfold, Alfie Prior.
Yellow cards: Fjord Rogers 19, James Huggins 89, Josh Oliver 90+4.
Red card: Harry Stannard 45+2

Attendance: 129
Referee: Declan Wyatt
Assistants: Adam Absolon & Daniel Vernon

Match details

Match date

Sat 06 Aug 2022







The FA Cup 22-23
Team overview
Further reading

Team Sponsors

First Team Sponsor - FibreTech UK Ltd
Management Sponsor - The Tony Rouse Mispronunciation Society
Management Sponsor - The Tony Rouse Mispronunciation Society
Management Sponsor - Stuart Kingston