Sat 05
Whitstable Town Reserves
Away Win For Reserves

Away Win For Reserves

By Ron Martin
Share via

Second half goals earn three points at Sturry

Andreas Carter Kent County League Division 2 C&E
Saturday October 5 2019 14.45

The reserves stretched their unbeaten run to four games after an impressive away win at Sturry, who came into the game as league leaders.

The young reserves side expected a very tough game against Sturry, who had started the season in excellent form, winning all their previous matches. Sturry had not lost a league game at home for two seasons.

Sturry started much better than Whitstable, who struggled to get to grips with the game and deal with the small pitch. They created several early chances and only a brilliant one handed save from Ryan Birch prevented them from taking the lead. For a 15 minute spell, it was all Sturry, but they failed to convert any of the chances they created. Whitstable were beaten to the second balls and there were a few strong challenges. Whitstable then began to settle down and started to get Harry Stannard and Peter Sharpless more involved in the game. Their first chance came when Ifeanyi beat his man down the left hand side and floated in a cross for Sharpless, who headed just over. Sturry fielded a strong side with former Whitstable Town first team players Harry Brown and Calvin Sedenu at the back. Sturry went 1-0 up through a penalty, following a mistimed tackle by Billy Mason in the box and midfielder Jake Page tucked it away. Whitstable were pushing deep to try to turn the game around and did put the ball in the net after a well worked move, finished off by Ideanyi, but a controversial decision by the assistant ruled it out.

Whitstable started the second half much better and started to control the game, getting the ball down and playing some nice football which Sturry struggled to deal with. Owen Fitt and Izaak Sargeant were introduced and they started to cause lots of trouble for the Sturry back four. Whitstable were deservedly soon level at 1-1 with a fantastic 25 yard shot from Harry Stannard that hit the roof of the net, leaving the home goalkeeper with no chance. Whitstable were now in full control and started creating more chances. They soon grabbed their second goal when the goalkeeper failed to deal with a back pass and good pressing from Sargeant allowed him to take the ball off the goalkeeper, leaving him with a simple finish to put the Town 2-1 up. With 20 minutes to go, Whitstable had Teddy Nelson sent off for dissent, which was a big loss as he had played superbly at the back, so ten men were left to hold on to the lead. Sturry threw everything at Whitstable, but the players defended brilliantly to see out the game, although credit must be given to Sturry, who never gave up throughout.

It was a fantastic win for the reserves against the league leaders which extends their unbeaten run to four games since losing their first game of the season.

The reserves now look forward to another away game next week at Rochester City.

Starting line-up:
Ryan Birch, Jack Sutton, Caleb Afoke, Teddy Nelson, Billy Mason, Josh Algar, Josh Neaves, Callum Mason, Ifeanyi David, Harry Stannard, Peter Sharpless.

Subs: Owen Fitt, Callum Tydeman, Izaak Sargeant, Keegan Wickham, Kieran Jones

Report by Josh Algar

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 05, Oct 2019